Courses for International Students









Visas and Immigration




International Student Information

Study at GKC
How to Apply
Visas & Immigration
International Student Handbook
Main GKC Site


Frequently Asked Questions About Visas and Immigration


  • If you are a non-EU citizen and do not currently hold status as an Asylum Seeker or Refugee in the UK you need to apply for a visa to study at the college.

  • GKC are licensed with the Home Office to offer course places to international adult students who are aged 18 and over at the start of their proposed studies.

  • At the Visa Application Centre for your country.

  • Further Education International students are required to study full time, a minimum of 15 hours per week.

  • A Tier 4 (General) student visa is for study over 6 months in duration or if you require an in-country extension.

    All current GKC international courses exceed 6 months therefore you should apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa.

  • Once you have confirmed your unconditional offer and are in receipt of a CAS and all other visa requirements, you may apply no more than three months prior to your course start date.

    The visa application process may take some time, check Visa processing times and ensure you seek up to date guidance from the following websites:

  • You can check which institutions have a Tier 4 (General) sponsor licence, and how they are rated, on the Register of Tier 4 Licensed Sponsors. Only these institutions can issue you with a confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS), which you must obtain in order to apply for a Tier 4 (General) student visa. A CAS is valid for 6 months.

  • Tier 4 (Child) Visa holders can apply from within the UK for a Tier 4 (General) Visa).

  • UKVI Tier 4 (General) Visa’s no longer permit students to work during their studies, you will have to ensure that you have the sufficient funds to support yourself.

  • Police registration is required within 7 days of arrival if you have a stamp in your passport indicating this requirement.

    To register go to: Strathclyde Police Station, 173 Pitt Street, Glasgow.

    You will need:

    • Your passport with visa/Biometric resident permit (BRP)
    • Passport photograph
    • Appropriate fee
    • CAS Statement
    • Proof of address (landlord or Halls of residence)

    You may need additional documents and you must keep the police informed of any visa extension or change of address in the UK.

Important Information

  • The maximum duration a student can study at Further Education level is 2 years.
  • Students must hold a valid UKVI-approved English language certificate (e.g. IELTS) at or above the minimum level set for that course before we can issue a CAS and unconditional offer.
  • You must use your GKC CAS to apply for your visa to study at GKC.
  • Check your visa sticker/BRP as soon as you receive it as it may be lengthy and costly to correct any errors.
  • Ensure your tier 4 sticker in your passport or biometric residence permit contains GKC sponsor licence number to confirm you are allowed to study at GKC.
  • The College acts as your Visa sponsor which places responsibilities on the College and students during your study in the UK.
  • The College must monitor course attendance of all Tier 4 students and report any unauthorised absence (10 consecutive days) and poor attendance to UKVI.
  • The College must maintain up-to-date student records for all Tier 4 students this includes contact details, copy of passport and any other documents used as evidence for a student’s visa application e.g. copies of qualifications.
  • Immigration policy and guidance changes frequently, it is important that you check the Home Office UK Visa and Immigration (UKVI) website for the most UKVI provides information on visa application process. Consult this up to date information.

UKVI provides information on visa application process.

Consult this website for up to date information and current fees.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) is a UK national advisory body serving the interests of international students and those who work with them.

Their website is very helpful for students and provides practical guides to immigration and studying in the UK.

Visas and Immigration
Visas and Immigration


What Do I Need?

There are two requirements to qualify for a visa:

  • You must hold a valid confirmation of acceptance for studies (CAS), this will be issued from the College once you have accepted an unconditional offer on a course and pay your tuition fees.
  • You must check this is accurate and inform us of any errors immediately. Your CAS information should match your visa application information. You must have your course fees and UKVI required maintenance funds of
    £1015.00 per month*. The amount of funding you need depends on the cost and length of your programme. e.g. if the course is more than nine months you must have the first year full course fees plus required UKVI maintenance funds.

You must have all supporting documents (translated if they aren’t in English). This list is an indication only, there may be additional documents required depending on personal circumstances):

  • Fully completed application form and visa application fee
  • Valid passport and photographs;
  • Unconditional offer
  • Confirmation of Acceptance of Studies (CAS) – unique number issued from GKC by UKVI
  • CAS statement from GKC
  • Original certificates for qualifications listed on CAS statement (including English language certificate)
  • Tuberculosis test results if you’re from a country where you have to take the test;
  • Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself and pay for your course.

Other areas you may be interested in…

  • How to Apply

  • Visas & Immigration