Student Funding

The funding you are entitled to is dependent on the level of course you are studying, your mode of attendance, ie full-time or part-time, and your individual circumstances.

Most funds are means-tested so you will be required to provide details of your circumstances and evidence of income when applying for support.

It is important that you submit your application as quickly as possible as some funds are limited.

Pick up a funding application form at your campus:

Springburn1st floor Student Funding Office


Further Education Programmes: Foundation, NC, NQ, NPA, SWAP, NPA, SVQ, Access, etc.

  • Full time

    Learners who are enrolled on a full-time, non-advanced programme will not be required to contribute towards the cost of tuition fees if you fulfil the following criteria:

    • Ordinarily resident in the UK, Channel Islands and Isle of Man for three years immediately before the first day of the first academic year of the course;
    • Settled in the UK as described in the Immigration Act 1971;
    • Ordinarily resident in Scotland on the start date of your course.

    You should apply for non-advanced Funding (FE) Bursary and Education Maintenance Allowance.


    Part time

    Learners who are in receipt of benefits and enrolled on a part-time, non-advanced programme should complete a college fee waiver form to cover the cost of the programme. The fee waiver form will need to be stamped by a local Jobcentre Plus Office. Part time learners who do not meet the fee waiver criteria will normally be required to pay the cost of the units they are undertaking.



    If your sponsor or employer is paying your fee directly to the college, you should obtain a letter confirming this or download an Employer Declaration Form

    This must be presented as soon as possible to the College Finance Office.

    Please be aware that you will be invoiced in full for your tuition fee if confirmation of sponsorship is not received within 30 days of the start date of your course.


    Asylum Seeker

    In order to qualify for a fee waiver you must be studying on an eligible part time course or full time ESOL.  The college will be able to advise you and select an appropriate programme of study.  Please be aware that you must bring your Home Office papers, Biometric Residence Card and/or most recent NASS Voucher to confirm your status in the UK.

    If the Home Office have rejected your asylum application, you will not be entitled to any tuition fee or living-cost support and you will be charged international fees.  Please contact the Finance Department for advice 0141 630 5022.

  • Bursaries are normally offered to eligible full-time learners aged 18 years and over at the start date of the course to cover maintenance and travel costs (if you live more than 2 miles from your campus).

    If your course requires study items, these are normally bought on your behalf from bursary funds and if you have any additional support needs whilst at college you may be entitled to support towards this from bursary funds.

    Payments are made directly into your bank account every 2 weeks. Students must achieve 100% attendance otherwise bursary payments will be stopped.

    Lone parents whose youngest child is under 5 years old will normally be advised to apply for a bursary to cover their travel and study expenses in order to maintain existing benefits.

    A bursary may be awarded to eligible part-time learners to cover travel expenses if they live at least two miles from the campus in which they are based.

    Download a booklet with further details relating to Bursaries and Education Maintenance Allowances: Bursary & EMA Guidance Booklet.
  • Eligible learners aged 16 or 17 years at the start date of the course may be entitled to an EMA of £30 per week and a bursary to cover travel expenses (if they live more than two miles from the campus they attend). EMA payments are dependent on learners attending 100% each week and are made directly into your bank account every fortnight.

    Download a booklet with further details relating to Bursaries and Education Maintenance Allowances: Bursary & EMA Guidance Booklet.
  • A revised ILA scheme will come into effect in October and will be called an Individual Training Account (ITA). If you are eligible then you will still be entitled to funding of up to £200 per year towards a course. The differences are that you will only be able to do one course in any learner year, and that courses will be geared towards helping you with getting a job or progressing in your career.

    • a British citizen;


    • a national of a member state of the European Economic Area who has utilised their ‘right of residence’;


    • settled within the United Kingdom within the meaning of section 33(2A) of the Immigration Act 1971.  You are only eligible for support if you are ‘settled within the UK’. If you are in Scotland on a temporary student or work visa then you are not entitled to SDS Individual Learning Account funding. ‘Settled’ means being both ordinarily resident in the UK, and without any immigration restriction on the length of your stay in the UK. ‘Settled’ can include those with Indefinite Leave to Remain/Enter and those with Refugee status. You do not have ‘settled status’ if you have a time limit on the length of your stay in the UK, as shown by your current immigration permission. For example, those with ‘Limited Leave’.


    • You must be ordinarily resident* in Scotland.
    • Aged 16 years or over
    • Have an income of £22,000 or less, or be in receipt of a qualifying benefit
    • Not hold a UK degree or postgraduate qualification or overseas equivalent
    • Not enrolled in any form of secondary, further or higher education
    • You are considered to be in secondary education until the date you leave school
    • You are considered to be in further or higher education from the date you enrol on your course
    • You can’t use ILA to fund any part-time course that is already funded by the part-time fee grant
    • If you are participating in training through the Employability Fund or Modern Apprenticeship, or participating on the Community Jobs Scotland programme you are not eligible for ILA.

    Please note: If your application for ILA funding is successful, you will be unable to apply for a Student Awards Agency For Scotland (SAAS) Part-Time Fee Grant for the duration of your ILA learner year.

    To request an application pack call 0800 917 8000 or visit

    This method of funding may not always cover the fee in its entirety, therefore, it is expected that the balance is paid in full.

  • Learners who need childcare cover to allow them to attend college can apply to the Childcare Fund for support. The fund can only cover formal, registered childcare costs for the days you are timetabled to attend college and there is normally a maximum daily amount we can pay your childcare provider.

    Download our Childcare Fund E-Bulletin: Childcare Fund E-Bulletin

    Download a list of local childcare providers: Childcare Provider List

  • This fund was formerly known as the Hardship Fund and is intended to help learners who are experiencing financial difficulties whilst coming to college.

    Download more information on the Discretionary Fund: Discretionary Fund Guide.

Higher Education Advanced Courses: HNC, HND etc

  • Learners who are attending on a full-time basis on Higher Education programmes should apply to the Student Awards Agency for Scotland (SAAS) for their support at

    Eligibility for support is dependent upon a number of factors, including fulfilling residency requirements and not having received previous support from SAAS.
    Applications must be made online at and awards may include the following;

    • Fees
    • Student Loan
    • Young Student Bursary
    • Independent Student Bursary
    • Supplementary Grants (eg. Lone Parent Grant, Disabled Student Allowance)

    In addition to SAAS funding HE learners can apply directly to the college for the following support;

    • Childcare Fund (for formal, registered childcare costs – full time learners only)
    • HE Discretionary Fund (for help with emergency financial situations)

    If you are studying on a part-time Higher Education course then a part time fee grant may be available from SAAS. The amount of grant you are entitled to depends on the number of credits you are doing each year. Further information is available at Depending on your circumstances part time HE learners may be entitled to apply for support from the HE Discretionary Fund.


Additional Financial Help

  • Depending on your circumstances you may be entitled to council tax reduction or exemption. You should contact your local authority to enquire.

  • Full time FE (non-advanced) learners continue to be entitled to child benefit up to the age of 19. You should contact the child benefit office 0300 200 3100 if child benefit needs to be re-started.

  • Each of our campus buildings has its own childcare facility, or close links with one nearby. Financial assistance can be made available for these and other formally registered childcare providers. Places and assistance are allocated on a ‘first come – first served’ basis, so early application is recommended.

    Please contact the Student Funding Team on 0141 630 5000 or using our contact form for getting more information.

Contact for Further Information

Further information on student funding is available by phoning the Student Funding Office:

  • 0141 630 5188  for Bursary & EMA,
  • 0141 630 5190  for Childcare & Discretionary Funds.

Alternatively you can email your enquiry to  or use our contact form.