Qualification Qualifications ExplainedNQ
Study ModeFull Time
18 weeks - 3 Days per week
Start dateAug 2023
This Engineering Pre-Employment Rail course will give you an introduction to engineering and prepare you for a career in rail engineering as well as other engineering industries.
The course is practical, focused and hands-on and you will spend most of your time in our world-class workshops and practical teaching areas. Over 18 weeks, you will gain knowledge, practical skills and experience relevant to a career in engineering.
In the latter stages of the course, you will then go onto complete your Personal Track Safety (PTS) and Track Induction Course qualifications on a simulated railway track with our partner SW-GR. Scot-Train – SWGR (sw-gr.com)
What you will learn
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Practical Skills
- Maintenance Engineering Practical Skills
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering Skills
- Engineering Design and Communication Skills
- Health and Safety
- Theory and Practical Skills for Rail Engineering
- PTS (Personal Track Safety) *
- TIC (Track Induction Course) *
* For applicants looking to work in the rail industry, we recommend that you are at least 17 years old when starting this course as you must be 18 years old upon completion to enter employment in the Rail Industry.
* For applicants looking to work in the rail industry - You should be fit and healthy and will be required to undergo a drugs and alcohol test prior to enrolment in Personal Track Safety and Track Induction Courses.
No formal qualifications are required although you may be asked to attend an interview.
- Employment in the Rail industry through an employment agent or employer
- Apply for Modern Apprenticeships in Engineering or Construction
On successful completion of this course, you can progress to:
- Full-time further education programmes in Engineering or Construction at Glasgow Kelvin College