Qualification Qualifications ExplainedNQ
Study ModePart Time
2 Half Days p/w
Start dateAug 2023
This course is only available to school students. Please do not apply if you do not meet this requirement.
The Health Care and First Aid programme will provide you with an introduction into the health sector such as paramedic science and the nursing profession which will allow you to examine a career within the health care sector.
The course consists of practical sessions within the college such as first aid, health and safety risk assessments, and an introduction to basic clinical tests such as blood pressures, pulses and respirations.
The course will assist you to develop transferable skills such as wellbeing, employability and support employment opportunities. The course will also include additional sessions in Basic life saving skills, Awareness of Moving and Assisting, and Bowel Cancer Awareness.
What you will learn
You will cover
- First Aid – which will include Basic life saving skills
- Physiology of the Cardiovascular System
- Prevention of Infection
- Improving Health & Wellbeing
- College certificates in Life saving skills, Moving and Assisting and Bowel Cancer Awareness
You should be working toward National 5 English and have a genuine interest in Paramedic science, Nursing, and/or the field of Health Care.
Days Per Week Tuesdays and Thursdays - 1.30 pm to 4 pm
Careers in paramedic science, nursing and/or the health care sector
You might go on to do:
- NC Level 6 Health and Social Care. Candidates require to have successfully completed the full Health Care and First Aid course plus two passes at National 5 level C or above
- SVQ2 in Health and Social Services. Candidates require to have successfully completed the full Health Care and First Aid course plus two passes at National 5 level C or above
- HNC Healthcare Practice (Equivalent to First Year Nursing).
Candidates require to have successfully completed the healthcare and first aid course plus have two additional Highers which must include English (or equivalent) at grade C or above.