HND ART & DESIGN - YEAR 2
Are you ready to take your creative journey to the next level?
Entering the 2nd year for the HND in Art & Design will help you hone existing knowledge and skills and enhance your creative vision. The course nurtures individuality, inspires experimentation and encourages the achievement of personal goals. You will undertake in-depth exploration of a range of materials allied with conceptual ideas and put together a strong portfolio for 2nd year entry to Art School.
What you need to qualify for entry...
HND2 Art & Design – Year 2:
- HNC pass in Art and design (12 credits)
- HND1 (year 1) pass in Art and Design (minimum 15 credit passes)
- A/B grade pass in level 7 Graded Unit 1
- Equivalent national qualifications
If you have an HNC Art and Design with only 12 credit passes you will be asked to complete 3 units during your second year, to make up the 3 missing credits.
HND2 applicants should provide a digital portfolio of 20 images of recent work, including sketchbook and development images
The course encourages experimentation and will equip you with a range of skills and techniques, a creative process and the vocabulary required at degree level. A critical component is the ability to develop ideas from conception to solution along with the capacity to verbalise and present concepts and work in a professional manner. Ongoing critiques, tutorials and reflective practice will help you to develop these skills.
Students also have the opportunity to develop skills in presenting their own and other artists’ work through regular seminars and exhibitions in our gallery space. We aim to prepare you as fully as possible for life at degree level or employment. It is a fundamental principle that you develop your own style, can work independently and that your portfolio reflects this ability.
1 Academic Year
August - June.
If you wish to study on a part-time basis you should provide information about this in their personal statement and at interview.
The good news is that the majority of students, who successfully complete the course go on to study at degree level.
Destinations for our previous HND students include:
- Degree Courses: GSA, ECA, DJCAD, Gray’s School of Art (RGU), The Royal Conservatoire of Scotland, UWS, UHI, Forth Valley College/Stirling University, Camberwell College of Arts London, Heriot Watt, Cumbria, Birmingham, Wolverhampton, Leicester, Liverpool, Leeds, Goldsmiths, Falmouth, Farnham, St. Martins, Portsmouth, Huddersfield, Batley, Newcastle, Sunderland and Bristol.
- Careers as technicians
- Junior managerial positions in the arts
- Arts workers in community arts
- Art teachers