ENGINEERING PRE-EMPLOYMENT - RAIL
The Engineering Pre-Employment Rail course will give you an introduction to engineering and prepare you for a career in rail engineering and other engineering industries.
The course is practical focussed and hands-on, and you will spend most of your time in our world-class workshops and practical teaching areas. Over 18 weeks, you will gain knowledge, practical skills and experience relevant to a career in engineering.
In the latter stages of the course, you will then go onto complete your Personal Track Safety (PTS) and Track Induction Course qualifications on a simulated railway track with our partner SW-GR. Scot-Train – SWGR (sw-gr.com)
What you need to quality for entry ...
No formal qualifications required.
Candidates may be asked to attend an interview.
- Mechanical and Manufacturing Practical Skills
- Maintenance Engineering Practical Skills
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering Skills
- Engineering Design and Communication Skills
- Health and Safety
- Theory and Practical Skills for Rail Engineering
- PTS (Personal Track Safety) *
- TIC (Track Induction Course) *
* For applicants looking to work in the rail industry - We recommend that you are at least 17 years old when starting this course as you must be 18 years old upon completion to enter employment in the Rail Industry.
* For applicants looking to work in the rail industry - You should be fit and healthy and will undergo a drugs and alcohol test prior to enrolment in Personal Track Safety and Track Induction Courses.
3 days per week at Springburn Campus
January to June
On successful completion of this course, you can progress to:
- Employment in rail industry through employment agent or employer
- Apply for Modern Apprenticeships in Engineering or Construction
- Full-time further education programmes in Engineering or Construction at Glasgow Kelvin College