Are you ready for a vibrant and challenging creative experience?
We will help you build on your existing skills and strengths to develop your own personal creative vision. You will learn from a broad base of art and design techniques in a range of media and materials. This will help your progress to a career in the Arts through successful articulation onto a diverse range of Higher Education degree programmes.
This course at Kelvin offers a more personal experience with smaller class sizes than larger institutions and the opportunity for collaboration with other college departments and outside groups
What you will learn
The course encourages experimentation and will equip you with a range of skills and techniques, a creative process and the vocabulary required at degree level. A critical component is the ability to develop ideas from conception to solution along with the capacity to verbalise and present concepts and work in a professional manner. Ongoing critiques, tutorials and reflective practice will help you to develop these skills.
You will also have the opportunity to develop skills in presenting your own and other artists’ work through regular seminars and exhibitions in our gallery space. We aim to prepare you as fully as possible for life at degree level or employment. It is a fundamental principle that you develop your own style, can work independently and that your portfolio reflects this ability.
HNC/D first year:
- Minimum C grade pass in higher/advanced higher Art and Design
- A/B grade pass in English at intermediate 2 or min C grade at higher
- NC in Art and Design or related area (minimum 15 credit passes)
If you have an equivalent national qualification but no formal credentials, you will be assessed on your artwork and will be asked to give a short description of selected pieces chosen from your portfolio
- Careers as technicians
- Junior managerial positions in the arts
- Arts workers in community arts
- Art teachers
The majority of our students, who successfully complete the course, go on to study at degree level.
Destinations for our previous HNC/D students include:
- Degree Courses: GSA; ECA; DJCAD; Grays; Heriot Watt; UHI, Cumbria; Birmingham; Wolverhampton; Leicester; Liverpool; Leeds; Goldsmiths; Falmouth; Farnham; St. Martins; Portsmouth; Huddersfield; Batley; Newcastle; Sunderland and Bristol.