This course will provide you with the confidence and skills required to become a craft apprentice in Carpentry & Joinery.
The course aims are to improve employability prospects by developing the following.
- Carpentry & joinery practical knowledge and skills.
- Problem solving skills.
- Transferable skills that can be related to areas within the construction industry.
- Information and Communication Technology (ICT) skills (CV assistance)
The course will also provide you with a qualification in Health & Safety and further prepare you for the Construction Skills Certification (CSCS) test.
What you will learn
- In addition to a range of Carpentry & Joinery units, you will undertake activities on
- Health & Safety, Construction Drawing, Numeracy and ICT.
- Carpentry and Joinery: An Introduction
- Develop Bench Joinery Skills
- Manufacture Joinery Components
- Carpentry and Joinery Repair and Maintenance
- Construction Occupation Practices
- Health and Safety in a Construction Environment
- Additional units in
- Develop Constructional Carpentry Skills
- Develop Site Joinery Skills
The course has no formal entry requirements, but applicants should have a genuine interest in carpentry & joinery and be aiming to gain a craft apprenticeship on course completion.
For this course, if English is not your first language
- you need to have SQA ESOL National 5 (or equivalent)
- If you do not have a formal ESOL qualification but your language skills meet this level, you should apply for your course and then contact our Admissions team to organise an internal language assessment here at the College.
The course will be delivered via blended learning using classroom and online activities along with practical workshop activities.
While the pre-apprenticeship course is in carpentry & joinery there are many transferable skills and attitudes gained throughout the progress of the course which may lead to employment in other areas within the construction sector.