Qualification Qualifications ExplainedC&G
Study ModeFull Time, Short Course
18 weeks - 4 days per week
Start dateAug 2024
MADE: The Academy for Modern Barbering @ Kelvin - Our unique course offers the chance to train with industry professionals to develop the skills and knowledge required to launch a successful career within the world of barbering.
MADE: The Academy for Modern Barbering @ Kelvin brings a recognised training brand delivered by experienced current industry barbers and Glasgow Kelvin College lecturers and assessors. We provide dedicated barber training, resulting in certification along with current practice skills to enhance employment prospects via a fast track course model.
MADE branded training comes with proven results of successful careers over the past four years of operating and this first-class training will continue within our new barbershop at our Springburn campus.
Our intense fast-track course requires no prior barbering experience. However, it does require candidates to commit fully and to have a real interest in the barbering industry along with self-motivation and a willingness to dedicate essential personal time to home study and practice.
You will learn the fundamentals of barbering from customer care through to technical cutting and styling techniques while learning how to build a client base and your barber profile through social media platforms. Training includes underpinning theory knowledge and practical sessions within our commercial barbershop where you will build confidence working on practice heads to client-based activity. Our barbershop in Springburn campus will provide a wide range of live cutting models but you will also need to create your own model resource.
You will be provided with an essentials barbering kit that suits this level of learning.
What you will learn
This course offers intensive, fast-track training including theoretical and practical elements.
Units and additional learning will provide knowledge and practical skills in:
- Working in the industry
- Health and Safety knowledge
- Tools, products and equipment - a barber kit will be provided for candidates and yours to keep
- Consultation process
- Shampooing, conditioning and massage techniques
- Cutting men’s hair
- Cutting and shaping men’s facial hair
- Styling men’s hair
- Social media profile building
- Employability skills including building a client base
- You don't need to have any prior knowledge but you do need to display a real interest and enthusiasm for the barbering industry
- With fast track learning you must bring self-motivation and a requirement to dedicate personal time to succeed
- You must be 16 years or over at the start of the course
- If English is not your first language, you should have a minimum ESOL level 5 or equivalent
Successful trainees will complete the course with a City & Guilds qualification and be invited to graduate with Glasgow Kelvin College.
The Barbering industry is rapidly expanding, both in the number of outlets and in the services being offered by barbers. Your career opportunities in the industry can be varied and you may choose to work as an employed barber or as a freelance barber, working for yourself.
- Progress to Level 3 City and Guilds barber training at another establishment