Qualification Qualifications ExplainedHND
Study ModeFull Time
1 Year - 2.5 Days per week
Start dateAug 2024
Within the first year of this course you will be introduced to different aspects of the fashion industry and gain skills in areas such as design, digital work, industrial sewing techniques, textiles and merchandising to name but a few.
You will design and create a fashion outfit, which is then showcased at our end of year fashion show. Into the second year of this HND you will develop your knowledge further, studying areas such as advanced pattern cutting, store design, evening wear/bridal manufacture, and tailoring techniques.
Within the tailoring unit, you have the opportunity to study menswear design/pattern construction and manufacture, which is a specialism rarely taught within the college sector.
What you will learn
Some of the skills this HND course covers are:
- Contemporary fashion design in addition to digital fashion design.
- Approaches to tailoring and manufacturing.
- Bridal & Evening wear
- Couture Embellishments
- Advanced manufacturing skills including pattern and garment construction, textile technology and production processes.
- Theoretical studies including fashion merchandising and fashion forecasting
- NC Fashion Design and Manufacture award OR
- 2 Highers in Art, English, Fashion and Textiles or equivalent
If English is not your first language, you will require to have ESOL L6 or equivalent
Entry is by interview.
Ideally you should be able demonstrate your creative practical and technical ability with a folio of work demonstrating: design development, garment designs and/or completed/customised garments.
Your career in the industry could lead to roles such as Design Room Assistant, Pattern Cutter, Freelance Designer, Production Assistant, Garment Technologist, Stylist, Fashion Allocator, Merchandiser, Buyer, Retail Manager.
River Island gives some fantastic information on careers available in the Fashion industry, visit their website to find out more.
Our former students who have completed this course have progress onto fashion courses at the following universities:
- Glasgow Caledonian University,
- Heriot Watt University- School of Clothing and Textiles
- Glasgow School of Art, Edinburgh College of Art
Real Industry Connections
Industry visits including a buying trip to London, guest speakers and contributing towards the operation of the annual college fashion show.