Qualification Qualifications ExplainedHND
Study ModeFull Time
2 Academic Years - 2.5 Days per week
Start dateAug 2024
This two-year full-time course will prepare you for a career in today’s music industry. You will perform, record, and write music in a professional environment, playing gigs in venues across the city.
We provide lessons in your chosen discipline (Voice, Guitar, Bass Guitar, Drum Kit, Keyboards, and Composition). You will also learn how to effectively use digital recording software.
The course is ideal for school leavers, adult returners, the self-employed, and those already in employment.
What you will learn
The course includes classes on the following:
- First Study (weekly instrument/composition lessons)
- Live Performance
- Music Theory
- Music Business for Musicians
- Song writing
- Music History
- Digital Audio Workstations
- Stagecraft for Musicians
- Music and Image: Graphics
- Keyboard Skills for Music Production
- Graded Unit project
Entry is by audition; you will be required to send a video recording demonstrating proficiency in your chosen discipline or alternatively you may be invited in to the college for an audition. The audition will be the main factor in a successful application, and must include two contrasting pieces of your choice, played to an appropriate standard.
Examples of relevant qualifications could include:
- Relevant National Certificate or National Qualification in Music
- One SQA Higher (preferably English)
You could enter the industry directly after your studies in a variety of roles, such as:
- Performing musician
- instrumental/vocal tutor
- media composer.
You could follow in the footsteps of previous students who have progressed on to degree courses such as:
- University of the West of Scotland
- University of the Highlands & Islands
- Edinburgh Napier University
- Academy of Music and Sound
- Royal Conservatoire of Scotland