Qualification Qualifications ExplainedHND
Study ModeFull Time
2 Academic Years - 2.5 Days p/w
Start dateAug 2024
Adventure Sports coaching is a key aspect in the expanding sports industry across the UK, from grass roots level to high performance sports.
This qualification will help you to pursue a career in outdoor coaching across a range of sports.
This course includes an embedded, stand-alone, industry-recognised PDA in Sports Coaching at that is jointly certificated with sportscotland CIMSPA.
Your learning will take place in Springburn campus, Pinkston Watersports and other off campus venues. You will experience a range of adventure sports throughout your time with us, such as Paddle Boarding, Skiing, Bouldering and Power Boat Level 2.
Your assessments on this programme take place throughout the year but at a time when you are ready to be assessed.
You will have the opportunity to work with organisations in the public, commercial or voluntary sector. You will also be able to undertake a range of short coaching qualifications, which are either free of charge to you or subsidised by the college. These qualifications can add real value to your job applications in the industry and give you the competitive edge to start your career in sports coaching.
A PVG will be required to undertake the mandatory placement which is embedded in the course.
What you will learn
- Sports Development 1
- Anatomy, Physiology and Biomechanics in Sport
- Sports Coaching: Developing Professional Practice
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Yourself
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Others
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Coaching
- Graded Unit 1
- Psychology of Sport & Exercise
- Outdoor Activities Provision
- Personal Development Planning
- Safe Practice
- Work Placement – this can be with your own sports club
- Sports Development 2
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Yourself 2
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Others 2
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Coaching 2
- Applied Psychology
- Graded Unit 2
- Physical Prep for Sports
- Skills in outdoor activities
- Inclusive Sport
At least one of the following:
- 1 Highers, one should be PE or English
- A relevant National Certificate (NC) or National Qualification (NQ)
- You should also have a passion for sport and a good level of fitness is essential
- Mature learners with experience but no formal qualifications, will be considered on merit.
- English language skills at a minimum ESOL level 6
All candidates will participate in a recruitment process
- Sports Coach
- Sports Development Officer
- Educational Physical Activity Co-ordinator
- Sport Lecturer
Successful HND students can progress to 3rd year at a variety of Universities including; University of Highlands & Islands, UCLAN, Cumbria, & West of Scotland.
Employment within the outdoor education sector.
Students can progress into Sports Coaching and Sports Development roles in the industry, both in the UK and overseas
Real Industry Connections
The Sports teaching team have worked across the Adventure Sports industry in both the UK and overseas.
Sport at Kelvin works closely with Sportscotland, Pinkston Watersports, Scottish Canoe Association, Glasgow Life Cycle