Our Outdoor Adventure and Leadership course is designed to prepare individuals for exciting careers in the outdoor sector. This hands-on course encompasses a wide range of activities and industry recognised qualifications, providing students with the skills and knowledge necessary for success as Outdoor Instructors. With a focus on personal development, communication, and professional practice, the course equips students to excel in the field of adventure sports.
The programme opens doors to various outdoor activities, from Paddlesports to climbing and skiing, offering a well-rounded skill set for aspiring outdoor instructors. Furthermore, the course provides opportunities for networking and industry exposure, with strong connections to key partners.
Upon successful completion of the programme, graduates are poised to enter the workforce with confidence, equipped to contribute meaningfully to the outdoor education and adventure sports industry. For those seeking further advancement, the option to pursue a Higher National Diploma (HND) in Adventure Sport Coaching is available, offering a more in-depth exploration of the field and enhanced career opportunities.
What you will learn
Residential Experience (UK & Europe)
- Expedition Planning Module
- BCU & DofE expedition modules
- Optional Ski Trip to France
NGB (National Governing Body) Awards
- Level 2 Mountain Bike Leadership Award Training (British Cycling)
- DofE Expedition Assessor & Supervisor Training Course
- National Navigation Award
- Lowland Leader training
- Paddlesport Safety & Rescue (British Canoeing)
- Paddlesport Instructor (British Canoeing)
- Paddlesport Leader Training (British Canoeing)
- White Water Raft Guide Training (British Canoeing)
Additional opportunities for NGB Assessments become accessible after students accumulate the required experience and fulfil the prerequisites.
- John Muir Award (Bronze)
- Leave no Trace Award
Developing Personal & Meta Skills with Outdoor Activities
- Decision making
- Events Planning & Organisation
Developing Practical Skills
- Hillwalking & Navigation
- Winter Skills
- Alpine Skiing
- Climbing & Bouldering
- Intro to Sailing, Powerboating, & Windsurfing
- White Water Rafting
- Stand Up Paddle boarding
- Gorge Walking
Outdoor First Aid
- ITC Accredited Outdoor First Aid
Personal Development Planning
- Goal setting
Developing Professional Practice
- Safeguarding & Protecting Children
- Creating Safe Coaching Environments
- Legislative Factors
- Policies and Procedures
- Professional and Personal Standards
Assisting with Daily Centre Duties
- Working & Volunteering in Outdoor Centres
- Maintaining and Repairing Equipment
- Safety Inspection Logs
- Interacting with Clients
Safe Practice in Outdoor Activities
- Legislative procedures and guidelines
- Safety Features of Equipment
- Safety & Rescue Procedures
No formal qualifications are required; however, you will be expected to demonstrate your suitability for the course throughout the interview process.
You must have an active interest and some previous experience in participating in outdoor activities. (This should be evidenced in your personal statement)
Experience of assisting with leading outdoor activities would be advantageous.
For this course, if English is not your first language
- you need to have SQA ESOL Higher (or equivalent)
- If you do not have a formal ESOL qualification but your language skills meet this level, you should apply for your course and then contact our Admissions team to organise an internal language assessment here at the College.
This course is designed to ready students for entry-level positions within the dynamic outdoor sector, serving as the initial step toward becoming an Outdoor Instructor. Upon successfully completing the programme, students acquire a comprehensive set of skills and qualifications, empowering them to seamlessly secure employment in various outdoor education and activity centres—whether locally, nationally, or internationally—immediately following course completion.
Individuals aspiring to enhance their career opportunities can advance to our comprehensive 2-year Higher National Diploma (HND) Adventure Sport Coaching course.
Real Industry Connections
The Adventure Sports Department boasts strong connections within the industry, both in the UK and overseas. We maintain close collaborations with a diverse array of key partners, including SportScotland, National Governing Bodies, Scottish Student Sport, Pinkston Watersports, and a variety of placement providers