Football coaching is a key aspect in the expanding football industry across the UK, from grass roots level to high performance sports, both female and male.
This qualification will help you pursue a career in Football Coaching.
The programme is designed in partnership between Glasgow Kelvin College and Glasgow Life Football Development Department. You will work alongside College and industry staff to complete your programme of study through embedded experience of work.
Your learning will take place in Springburn campus and Glasgow Life venues. You will experience a range of additional industry qualifications and experiences required for a coaching post and further coaching badges. It will provide you the best possible start whether you want to work in the industry or go on to further study.
When you successfully completion of your HNC, you will be offered a guaranteed interview for a coaching role within the Glasgow Life Football Development Department (subject to meeting all criteria and availability).
Your assessments on this programme take place throughout the year but at a time when you are ready to be assessed.
Throughout the programme at various stages you will be experience additional learning through the mandatory Coach Education courses accredited by the Scottish Football Association (SFA).
A PVG, issued by Disclosure Scotland, will be required to undertake the mandatory placement which is embedded in the course.
What you will learn
- Sports Development 1
- Anatomy, Physiology and Biomechanics in Sport
- Sports Coaching: Developing Professional Practice
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Yourself
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Others
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Coaching
- Graded Unit 1
- Psychology of Sport & Exercise
- Outdoor Activities Provision
- Personal Development Planning
- Inclusive Sport
- Work Placement – this can be with your own sports club
- Sports Development 2
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Yourself 2
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Others 2
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Coaching 2
- Applied Psychology
- Graded Unit 2
- Physical Prep for Sports
- Strength and Conditioning
- Current Trends
At least one of the following:
- One Higher, either PE or English
- A relevant National Certificate (NC) or National Qualification (NQ)
- You should also have a passion for sport and a good level of fitness is essential
- Mature learners with experience but no formal qualifications, will be considered on merit.
- English language skills at a minimum ESOL level 6
- All candidates will participate in a recruitment process
- Sports Coach
- Sports Development Officer
- Educational Physical Activity Co-ordinator
- Sport Lecturer
Successful HND students can progress to 3rd year of the BSc Sports Studies course at The University of West of Scotland.
Employment within the outdoor education sector.
Employment prospects in Football Coaching / Football Development at home and abroad