Listen to what our students have to say about our courses
Sports coaching is a key aspect in the expanding sports industry across the UK, from grass roots level to high performance sports.
This qualification will help you to pursue a career in coaching across a range of sports.
Your learning will take place in our games hall, in one of our high-performance gyms, occasionally in a classroom but often out in the sports industry itself.
Your assessments on this programme take place throughout the year but at a time when you are ready to be assessed.
You will experience a range of sports throughout your time with us, such as Netball, Volleyball, Basketball and Badminton.
You will also be able to undertake a range of short coaching qualifications. These qualifications can add real value to your job applications in the industry and give you the competitive edge to start your career in sports coaching.
What you will learn
- Sports Development 1
- Anatomy, Physiology and Biomechanics in Sport
- Sports Coaching: Developing Professional Practice
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Yourself
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Others
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Coaching
- Psychology of Sport & Exercise
- Inclusive Sport
- Personal Development Planning
- Work Placement – this can be with your own sports club
- Sports Development 2
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Yourself 2
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Others 2
- Sports Coaching: Knowing Coaching 2
- Applied Psychology
- Physical Prep for Sports
- Current Trends
- Strength & Conditioning: An intro
Fitness, Health and Exercise - Introduction to: NQ (Level 5)
Intro to Sport: NQ (Level 5)
Outdoor Adventure Leadership: NQ (Level 6)
Fitness, Health and Exercise: HND
Football Coaching and Development: HND
At least one of the following:
- One Higher, either PE or English
- A relevant National Certificate (NC) or National Qualification (NQ)
- You should also have a passion for sport and a good level of fitness is essential
- Mature learners with experience but no formal qualifications, will be considered on merit.
For this course, if English is not your first language
- you need to have SQA ESOL Higher (or equivalent)
- If you do not have a formal ESOL qualification but your language skills meet this level, you should apply for your course and then contact our Admissions team to organise an internal language assessment here at the College.
All candidates will participate in a recruitment process
- Sports Coach
- Sports Development Officer
- Educational Physical Activity Co-ordinator
- Sports Lecturer
Students can progress into Sports Coaching and Sports Development roles in the industry, both in the UK and overseas
There is the opportunity to progress to university to continue studying Sports Coaching and Development to a more advanced level
Real Industry Connections
The Sports teaching team have worked across the sports industry ……(staff experience here)
Many of the teaching staff are also former Sports Coaching students of Glasgow Kelvin College and have chosen to develop their career in Sports education.
Sport at Kelvin works closely with Sport Scotland, Glasgow Life and Pure Gym.