This course introduces our C & G Level 2 Certificate in Barbering (SCQF level 5), to our Falkirk delivery portfolio. MADE Barbering Academy and MTA Education have come together and harnesses the collective expertise of both organisations to provide an industry inspired barbering training experience. Under the banner of "MADE with MTA", we present a holistic learning journey that equips students with the skills and knowledge to excel in the ever-evolving barbering industry.
MADE with MTA @ Kelvin brings a recognised training brand delivered by experienced current industry barbers and Glasgow Kelvin College lecturers and assessors. We provide dedicated barber training, resulting in certification along with current practice skills to enhance employment prospects via a fast track course model.
MADE branded training comes with proven results of successful careers over the past five years of operating and with the excellent addition of MTA Education we continue to expand within our new training environment in Falkirk.
Our intense fast-track course requires no prior barbering experience. However, it does require candidates to commit fully and to have a real interest in the barbering industry along with self-motivation and a willingness to dedicate essential personal time to home study and practice.
You will learn the fundamentals of barbering from customer care through to technical cutting and styling techniques while learning how to build a client base and your barber profile through social media platforms.
Training includes underpinning theory knowledge and practical sessions within our commercial barbershop where you will build confidence working on practice heads to client-based activity. Our barbershop in Springburn campus will provide a wide range of live cutting models but you will also need to create your own model resource.
You will be provided with an essentials barbering kit that suits this level of learning.
What you will learn
This course offers intensive, fast-track training including theoretical and practical elements.
Units and additional learning will provide knowledge and practical skills in:
- Working in the industry
- Health and Safety knowledge
- Tools, products and equipment - a barber kit will be provided for candidates and yours to keep
- Consultation process
- Shampooing, conditioning and massage techniques
- Cutting men’s hair
- Cutting and shaping men’s facial hair
- Styling men’s hair
- Social media profile building
- Employability skills including building a client base
- you don't need to have any prior knowledge but you do need to display a real interest and enthusiasm for the barbering industry
- With fast track learning you must bring self-motivation and a requirement to dedicate personal time to succeed
- You must be 16 years or over at the start of the course
For this course, if English is not your first language
- you need to have SQA ESOL National 5 (or equivalent)
- If you do not have a formal ESOL qualification but your language skills meet this level, you should apply for your course and then contact our Admissions team to organise an internal language assessment here at the College.
Successful trainees will complete the course with a City & Guilds qualification and be invited to graduate with Glasgow Kelvin College.
The Barbering industry is rapidly expanding, both in the number of outlets and in the services being offered by barbers. Your career opportunities in the industry can be varied and you may choose to work as an employed barber or as a freelance barber, working for yourself.
- Progress to Level 3 City and Guilds barber training at another establishment