Qualification Qualifications ExplainedHND
Study ModeFull Time
Start dateAug 2023
Do you see yourself working in audio engineering? Working within a sector like sound design for theatre, film and TV or audio for interactive media like video games and VR/AR? In recorded and live music production? Pursuing an exciting, challenging career in a diverse and ever-changing industry?
Yes? Then Sound Production is the one for you. The course is designed to help you develop a range of specialist skills and prepare you for a wide range of careers based on Sound Production e.g. Recording Studios, Theatres, Live Sound, Radio, Audio Post Production, Sound Installations and Music for Business.
We have state of the art studio areas with full interconnectivity to 9 separate live areas; analogue and digital front-end recording systems with software and hardware by Avid, Yamaha (DM2000, 1000 and O2R series desks), Audient; mics by Neumann, AKG etc. Genelec monitoring throughout. Our new Mac Suite is equipped with the latest software from Pro Tools/ Logic Pro and Ableton Live.
We work closely with external partners, one of which is Mediapsec, who support the HND Sound Production Course by offering the Award for Outstanding Achievement. This is given to the student in second year who the Panel feels performs and achieves to the best of their ability.
We are an AVID Training Partner and opportunities exist to complement your learning by studying industry-led qualifications such as Pro Tools 101 / 110. You will be taught by our experienced staff with many years of working in industry and teaching.
You will work on projects with other students in the Faculty, including Music Performance, Musical Theatre and Music Business. We want to give you real experiences. You’ll have many opportunities to be involved in external projects and work placements to shadow and get practice within venues in and around Glasgow to build on your knowledge around Sound for Live Events, e.g., O2 Academy, AdLib, King Tut’s, all of which will provide you with real experiences. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to work with the College’s prestigious Record Label – Electric Honey. Key to your time with us at Kelvin is the opportunity to network and collaborate. All the projects you work on will give you an invaluable insight into your chosen role but also into many other areas which support the sound production activity. These opportunities will provide you with the right environment to develop your professional skills, work practices and attitudes - working in teams, delivering high quality work to tight deadlines, decision making and client interaction - demanded by the industry.
What you will learn
A wide range of subjects covering:
- Audio Skills
- Digital Audio Workstations
- Recording Project
- Mixing Project
- Recording and Mixing
- Sound for Live Events
- Creative Music Re-mixing
- Skills for Business
- Graded Unit
- Professional Development Project
- Digital Audio Workstations
- Skills for Mastering and Final Format Production
- Spatial Recording and Reproduction
- Audio for Multimedia
- Sound Reinforcement
- Graded Unit
There are a number of ways you can come to us. If you have either:
- a minimum of 1 SQA Higher (grade C pass or above, e.g., Music Technology, Maths, Physics / English etc.) OR
- a relevant NQ/NC programme at level 6 OR
- experience but no formal qualifications you will be considered on merit.
- Mature learners without formal qualifications are most welcome. If you don’t have an equivalent qualification, relevant industry experience will be taken into account.
- An appropriate level of English/Literacy is required from all applicants. Where English is not your first language, you must have a minimum level 6 (higher) ESOL or equivalent.
- You will be asked for proof of qualifications.
- As part of your online application, in the personal statement, make sure you demonstrate your enthusiasm and interest in working in Sound Production by telling us about you and why you want a place on the course.
Entry directly to year two of the HND Sound Production is possible; you need to have achieved at least 15 credits from year one of the HND Sound Production if you are coming to us from another centre.
Many of our Graduates are now currently working in areas such as TV, radio, theatres, the live sound sector and with various record and promotion companies. Have a look at some of our alumni in the video clips.
We currently have many of our students progressing on to the degree courses at Glasgow Caledonian, University of West of Scotland, Glasgow School of Art, UHI, Sound Design Course at Napier University and Abertay.
We will discuss the options with you. Successful learners can progress to 2nd or 3rd year degree programme. Alternatively, you could seek employment in many branches of the Music Industry.