Qualification Qualifications ExplainedNQ
Study ModeFull Time
1 Academic Year - 3 Days p/w
Start dateAug 2023
Are you ready to move in to Electrical and Electronic Engineering? Would you like to become a professional engineer?
This NQ level 5 course covers all the knowledge needed to understand Electrical and Electronic Engineering but also has a strong emphasis on practical skills and is intended for those interested in developing skills for a great career in this exciting industry.
- The course is a mix of classroom work and practical engineering activities in our brand new laboratories and workshops. Assessment comprises both short written tests and laboratory assignments. The course finishes with a hands on project such as building and racing robot cars.
You will be given your own tool kit and electronic microcontroller project kit which is yours to keep at the end of the course.
What you will learn
Engineering theory, plus extensive hands on hardware and software work.
Electrical and Electronic Theory:
- Electrical Principles
- Power Systems
- Electrical Safety
- Electrical Machines and Plant Maintenance
Practical hands on work:
- Software Programming
- Electrical Testing and Measurement
- Electrical Wiring Skills
- Fundamental Electronics
- Electronic Soldering and Circuit Assembly
- Build an Engineering Project
You can join our course by three methods:
- A minimum of Four National 4 qualifications including Mathematics and a Science subject OR
- Successfully complete our NQ Level 4 in Engineering OR
- If you have relevant industry experience instead of formal qualifications, we are happy to consider applications.
We welcome female applicants who wish to take up a new career in Engineering.
Entry to the course is be based upon a competitive review of the applications. You should now provide detailed information on relevant life and employment experience within your personal statement, in addition to demonstrating a genuine interest in the subject. Your personal statement will be a significant factor in determining whether you are selected for the programme.
Please list on your application any qualifications you have already obtained, and when, and where you obtained them
You may be able to gain employment or a Modern Apprenticeship with energy companies, engineering contractors, consulting engineers or local authorities
The NQ Electrical and Electronic Engineering Level 5 qualification should allow you to progress to study our courses such as:
- NQ in Mechanical and Electrical Engineering (level 6)
- Access Engineering (pre –degree entry course)
- Access STEM (pre –degree entry course
- HND in Electrical Engineering, Year 1