Are you ready to move in to Engineering? Would you like to become a professional engineer?
This NQ level 4 introduces you to the study of STEM subjects (Science, Technology Engineering and Maths) along with support in Communication and ICT.
It has a strong emphasis on practical skills and is ideal if you are interested in developing skills for a successful career in the fast moving engineering industry.
It is ideal if you are considering a career change or a return to the world of work and study after a break.
It would also be useful if you who have qualifications in a language other than English and you want to progress on to higher levels of study.
The course is a mix of classroom work and practical engineering activities in our brand new laboratories and workshops. Assessment comprises both short written tests and laboratory assignments. The course finishes with a hands on project such as building and racing robot cars.
You will be given your own tool kit and electronic microcontroller project kit, which is yours to keep at the end of your course.
What you will learn
Engineering theory, plus extensive hands on hardware and software work such as:
- Electricity and Energy (National 4)
- Numeracy and Maths (National 4)
- Communications (National 4)
- Software Programming
- Electronic Soldering and Circuit Assembly
- Electrical Wiring Skills
- Build an Engineering Project.
- There are no formal entry requirements.
- However your level of spoken and written English will be assessed.
- If you have relevant industry experience instead of formal qualifications, we are happy to consider applications.
- We welcome female applicants who wish to take up a new career in Engineering
Entry to the course will be based upon a competitive review of the applications. You should now provide detailed information on relevant life and employment experience within your personal statement, in addition to demonstrating a genuine interest in the subject. Your personal statement will be a significant factor in determining whether you are selected for the programme.
While you do not need formal qualifications for this course, please list on your application any qualifications you do have and when and where you obtained them.
You may be able to gain employment or a Modern Apprenticeship with energy companies, engineering contractors, consulting engineers or local authorities.
The NQ Engineering Level 4 qualification should allow you to progress to study our courses such as:
- NQ in Electrical Engineering (level 5),
- NQ in Mechanical Engineering (level 5),
- NC Computing
- NC Applied Science
If you have previous qualifications or do very well on this programme, may also be able to progress to:
- Access Engineering (pre –degree entry course)
- Access STEM (pre –degree entry course
- HNC/D in Electrical Engineering. YR1