Do you want to develop your career in Scotland’s thriving Electronics industry? You could develop your career in a sector with great prospects and in a job that can take you anywhere in the world, while working in an dynamic and respected industry.
The HNC Electronic Engineering course will develop your ability to analyse and solve electrical engineering problems, and apply knowledge, understanding and skills to analysing and designing electronic systems. It also has a strong emphasis on practical skills and is for you if you are interested in developing skills in this sector.
The qualification provides a broad based technical education if you want to start a career in Electronic Engineering or if you want to progress to university to study at degree level.
This one year course enables you to achieve an HNC in Electronic Engineering.
What you will learn
What is in the course?
Engineering theory, plus extensive hands-on hardware and software work.
Electronic Engineering Theory includes:
- Electrical Principles
- Power Systems and Power Electronics
- Control Systems and Transducers
- Mathematics (including Mathematics options for university entrance)
Practical hands on work includes:
- Software Programming in C++
- Programmable Logic Controllers
- Electrical and Electronic Instruments
- Analogue and Digital Electronics
- Power Supply Circuits
There are several ways you can join our course:
- At least one Higher pass at grade C (One must be Mathematics or Physics). If only Physics you must also have passed National 5 maths. OR
- One Technical higher at Grade C and National 5 Maths at grade C OR
- Successful completion of an NQ Level 6 Mechanical & Electrical course OR
- Successful completion of an NC Level 5 in Electrical or Electronic Engineering with suitable mathematics units OR
- Successful achievement of a Foundation Apprentice Engineering award OR
- Other equivalent qualifications or experience. If you have relevant industrial experience and qualifications (e.g SVQs) we are very happy to consider your application.
We welcome female applicants who wish to take up a new career in Engineering.
Entry to the course will be based upon a competitive review of the applications. Your application should provide detailed information on relevant life and employment experience within your personal statement, in addition to demonstrating a genuine interest in the subject.
Please clearly list on your application all qualifications you have already obtained, and when, and where you obtained them.
The HNC qualification can get you straight into employment. We actively encourage our students to seek careers in engineering and arrange guest speakers and visits to industry. Learners wishing to progress directly to employment can access jobs as Engineers or Technicians with energy generation and transmission companies, renewables developers, engineering contractors, consulting engineers or local authorities.
The HNC qualification entitles engineers working in the field of Electronic Engineering to apply for membership of professional bodies, such as the IET, who are registered with The Engineering Council, for the designated title of 'Engineering Technician' (Eng.Tech.).
The HND Electrical Engineering qualification can open up many opportunities for your future career and it can help you to progress to study at university.
It may enable you to progress to year 1 or 2 of Electrical and Electronics Engineering degree programmes at various universities. You will also be able to apply for other degree programmes such as Building Services and Teaching. To maximise your chances of acceptance into a university degree programme, we offer customised course options with mathematics.