This course has been designed in partnership with the University of Glasgow (UoG). Once you have achieved your qualification, it provides you with direct entry (see entry requirements below)ah ok into Year 2 of the following Engineering BEng degrees at the University of Glasgow including:
Aeronautical Engineering, Aerospace Systems, Biomedical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Design Engineering, Mechanical Engineering with Aeronautics, and Mechatronics
Students will be taught in the Kelvin's Springburn Campus, with additional sessions run on Glasgow University’s main Gilmorehill campus throughout the HNC year.
What you will learn
The HNC Mechanical Engineering course is designed to develop a wide range of knowledge, skills and experience across Engineering subjects and laboratory experiments within our new Innovation Centre. There will also be classes at Glasgow University to prepare you for transition to second year entry. You will build up an excellent understanding of a broad range of engineering concepts and skills, including:
- Engineering Mathematics
- Engineering Principles
- Statics and Strength of Materials
- Pneumatics & Hydraulics
- AC & DC Principles
- Materials Selection
- Computer Aided Draughting
- Graded Unit
This is a 17 credit HNC. Some of the units are assessed in a single exam upon completion of teaching
- Towards the end of the year, you will undertake a Graded Unit 1 exam
- All units are graded as Pass/Fail other than the Graded Unit which is graded A, B, C or Fail
You will also learn to perform a range of laboratory experiments which are essential for industry and academia.
What you need to quality for entry ...
- be Scottish domiciled, residing within a target postcode area (SIMD deciles 1-4) OR care-experienced OR estranged and living without family support OR have caring responsibilities (applicants can check their postcode on the University of Glasgow’s postcode checker: www.glasgow.ac.uk/prioritypostcodes
- not previously have completed an undergraduate degree
Alongside the eligibility criteria, applicants to the articulating HNC Mechanical Engineering must also have
- 1 Higher at grade B for Maths and 1 other relevant Higher or Successful completion of an Engineering Foundation Apprenticeship Or
- Successful completion of Access Stem or Access Engineering
If you have any questions regarding this eligibility criteria, please contact the University of Glasgow’s Articulation Officer, Dr Daniel Keenan, directly: email@example.com
This qualification will enable you to articulate directly into Year 2 of full-time study at the University of Glasgow - therefore completing their undergraduate degree within four years (or five if progressing on to the MEng).
The college will support you in your completion of a UCAS application for 2nd year entry in one of the following degree programmes:
Aeronautical Engineering, Aerospace Systems, Biomedical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Electronics and Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Mechanical Design Engineering, Mechanical Engineering with Aeronautics, and Mechatronics.
Progression to 2nd year is dependent upon successful completion of the course (pass all units and achieve A pass in the Graded Unit exam and your successful UCAS application.