Qualification Qualifications ExplainedHNC
Study ModeFull Time
1 Academic Year
Start dateAug 2024
The HNC in Childhood Practice will assist you to become a qualified Child Development Officer.
The course will allow you to develop knowledge and understanding of the principles and values underpinning the care and education of young children.
As part of your course you will be allocated a childhood practice placement for two days per week for the full year, ensuring an excellent balance between theory and practical application. This placement will be within an Early Years establishment, not a primary school.
What you will learn
The mandatory units you will study are:
- Care in Contemporary Society
- Health Wellbeing and Safeguarding
- Leadership starts with me
- Lifespan Development: Theoretical Approaches
- Graded Unit 1
- Support for Play Learning and Development
- 3 SVQ unit workplace units.
- Subjects also include three optional units. The optional units will be:
- Supporting Children and Young People with Additional Support Needs
- Supporting Children and Young People’s Behaviour
- Supporting our Youngest Children 0-3.
- NC Early Education and Childcare (Level 6), or
- SVQ level 2 Children’s Care, Learning and Development, or
- SVQ Level 2 Social Services (Children And Young People), or
- SVQ Playwork Level 2
- Direct entrants with other qualifications such as 2 Highers at ‘C’ or above, to include English, will be considered.
Direct entrants must be able to evidence that they have worked with Early Years children in some capacity, for a minimum of 6 - 12 months , and this should be evidenced in their personal statement.
You will be required to enter the PVG scheme administered by Disclosure Scotland. This check will be carried out before undertaking work experience. If you have any offences that may be recorded on a Disclosure Scotland check, you should discuss this at your interview.
Additional Selection Requirements - You will be invited for an interview where you will get the opportunity to find out more about the course and to explain why you are interested in this career path. You will also be asked to complete a written task as part of the interview process. You must provide two references (one must be from your most recent educational provider or employer).
If invited to attend an interview, please bring proof of your qualifications with you.
Employment opportunities could be in Early Education and Childcare Centres, Private Nurseries and Private Homes and Schools.
On successful completion you will able to register at practitioner level with the Scottish Social Services Council.
Progression routes include:
- HND Additional Needs
- PDA Childhood Practice (level 8)
- BA Childhood Studies/Practice
- BA Early Years
- BA/Diploma Education
- B/A Diploma Education and Social Services
- Social Services SVQ Level 4 Social Services (Children And Young People).
- BA/BEd (Hons) Primary Education.