This course provides an integrated programme of theory and practice at Level 6 to enable you to work effectively in roles within the Early Education and Childcare sector and/or to progress to further study.
The knowledge and understanding you will gain on the course will help you develop positive values and attitudes and will encourage you to reflect on your learning and practice.
The course has a large placement element. You will have a placement in a nursery 2 days per week for the duration of the course.
What you will learn
Course topics include:
- Planning for Practice: Workplace Experience
- Sociology of Childhood
- Providing an Inclusive Curriculum in Childhood Practice
- Protecting and Promoting the Rights of the Child
- Child Development
- Child Development : Theory
- Services for Children and Young People
- Planning for Practice
- Working with Children and Young People who Require Additional Support for Learning
- Understanding Mental Health Issues
- HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C infections
- Applicants should have passes in four subjects at SCQF level 5, such as National 5, Standard Grades at band 2 or above or four passes at Intermediate 2, one of which much be English.
- Successful achievement of a level 5 Childcare qualification such as The National 5 Skills for Work Early Education and Childcare or the NPA in Playwork and Childcare will also be considered.
For this course, if English is not your first language
- you need to have SQA ESOL Higher (or equivalent)
- If you do not have a formal ESOL qualification but your language skills meet this level, you should apply for your course and then contact our Admissions team to organise an internal language assessment here at the College.
Selection for interview will also be based on the content of a personal statement which should evidence your interest in learning about the care and education of children. Applicants will be required to enter the PVG scheme administered by Disclosure Scotland. This check will be carried out before undertaking work experience. If you have any offences that may be recorded on a Disclosure Scotland check, you should discuss this at interview.
Additional Selection Requirements – Successful applicants will be invited for an interview where they will get the opportunity to find out more about the course and to explain why they are interested in this career path. If selected for interview, you will also be asked to complete a written task as part of the interview process. You must provide two references (one from your most recent educational provider or employer).
If invited for interview you must bring evidence of your qualifications.
Employment as a nursery assistant or support worker
You may progress on to:
- HNC Childhood Practice (subject to satisfactory references and NC practical training placement reports)
- HNC Additional Support Needs
- SVQ Level 3 Social Services (Children and Young People).