Qualification Qualifications ExplainedPDA
Study ModeFull Time, Part Time
1 or 2 Academic Years
Start dateAug 2024
Would you like to work as a Support for Learning Worker in an educational setting with a focus on supporting children and young people with additional support needs?
You can now start your career with the full time Personal Development Award in Education Support Assistance at SCQF level 6 at Glasgow Kelvin College.
What you will learn
The PDA award consists of SQA units in the following:
- Development of children and young people from birth to 18
- Supporting the behaviour of children and young people
- Providing support to children and young people in school
- Supporting children and young people with Additional Support Needs
- Professional Practice
- Working with children and young people with autism
- Supporting Language, Literacy and Numeracy in an Educational Setting
In addition, full-time learners will study core skills in IT, Communication and Numeracy.
Classes will include lectures, group work, presentations, discussions, research and on-line learning using Moodle, the college VLE. Assessment will be a combination of class tests, research investigations and a portfolio of evidence from work based tasks.
- You are required to hold certification at SCQF level 5 or above (or equivalent) including English or Communication
- You should have an interest in working with children – please detail this experience in your personal statement
- For NC or PDA, applicants whose first language is not English, should have a minimum ESOL level 5 at an A or B although higher ESOL is the preferred qualification
- For mature applicants, relevant work experience in a Childcare setting and/or relevant life experience could demonstrate ability rather than qualifications.
Additional Selection Requirements – If successful, you will be invited for an interview where you will get the opportunity to find out more about the course and to explain why you are interested in this career path. If selected for interview, you will also be asked to complete a written task as part of the interview process. You must provide two references (one from your most recent educational provider or employer).
If invited for interview you must bring evidence of your qualifications.
This class runs from 9 am to 3 pm
- Employment options may include Support for Learning Worker posts at primary schools, secondary schools or in ASN schools
- Learner support roles at colleges or universities
You may progress on to:
- HNC Childhood Practice
- HNC Additional Support Needs