The HND Civil Engineering builds on what you have already learned on the HNC. It is designed to develop some subjects you have already a grounding in but also to introduce some new specialist subject areas.
A new Civil Engineering laboratory has also been created in the College to support and enhance, in particular, geotechnical and structural engineering subjects.
What you will learn
Course subjects include:
- Contract & Project Management
- Graded Unit
- Site Surveying
- Health & Safety
- Reinforced Concrete Design & Detailing
- Structural Analysis: Statically Determinate & Indeterminate Structures
- Structural Steel Design & Detailing
- Structural Masonry Design & Detailing
- Structural Timber Design & Detailing
- CAD for Civil Engineering
- Fluid Mechanics
- Mathematics for Civil Engineering
- Water Supply Engineering
- Traffic Engineering
- Current HNC in Civil Engineering
For this course, if English is not your first language
- you need to have SQA ESOL Higher (or equivalent)
- If you do not have a formal ESOL qualification but your language skills meet this level, you should apply for your course and then contact our Admissions team to organise an internal language assessment here at the College.
An HND in Civil Engineering can enable students to progress to University subject to meeting the entry criteria of the University. Note that entry criteria and year of entry may vary from University to University.
Previous students have progressed to either 2nd or 3rd year entry at the following; - University of the West of Scotland - Glasgow Caledonian University - Strathclyde University