Here at Kelvin, we are the largest College provider of Civil Engineering courses in Scotland and we offer courses at NC, HNC and HND levels on a full-time, part-time and day-release basis. We also offer all the Civil Vocational programmes including Foundation, Modern and Higher Apprenticeships.
The HND Civil Engineering provides you with all the technical educational requirements for the position of Technician Engineer. The course content is broad based to not only meet progression to University, but also allow you develop your career in Civil Engineering. These include civil engineering contractors, consulting engineers, local authorities, infrastructure (water and transportation) and many more.
The HND is a 2-year full-time programme with the option to leave after year one with an HNC. To enhance your student experience and potential employment opportunities, we have introduced a number of appropriate activities.
Innovative approaches to learning, as well as strong and established links with industry, make the course unique in Scotland. In recent years we have worked alongside Morgan Sindall, Robertson Construction, and Scottish Canals to bring our students an experience of 'real life' Civil Engineering, primarily through guest lectures and site visits. The Institute of Civil Engineers (ICE) visit every year and this HND meets the educational requirements for ‘Eng Tech’ status.
You will participate in project-based innovative learning such as 'Survey Camp', a 3-day residential event where students work in groups to carry out a series of Civil Engineering tasks.
You will have the opportunity to be involved with ‘Constructionarium Scotland’ – the only College in Scotland to have a 12-year association with this experiential week-long learning event, whereby you will experience a small construction project from start to finish.
What you will learn
Course subjects include:
- Technology, Materials & Testing
- Fluid Mechanics
- Contract & Project Management
- Specialisms and Graded Units.
- Site Surveying
- Substructure and Technical Communication.
- Concrete, Steel, Timber and Masonry.
- Mathematics & Computing Applications.
- Higher qualification in Maths or Physics - Grade C or above OR
- Technological Higher subject (Grade C or above) with National 5 Maths OR
- Successful completion of NQ engineering/construction OR
- Equivalent Foundation Apprenticeship
For this course, if English is not your first language
- you need to have SQA ESOL Higher (or equivalent)
- If you do not have a formal ESOL qualification but your language skills meet this level, you should apply for your course and then contact our Admissions team to organise an internal language assessment here at the College.
An HND in Civil Engineering can help you to progress to University, subject to meeting the entry criteria of the University.
Previous students have progressed to either 2nd or 3rd year entry at the following: University of the West of Scotland; Glasgow Caledonian University ; Strathclyde University