This course provides an integrated programme of theory and practice at Level 6 to enable you to work effectively in roles within the Early Education and Childcare sector and/or to progress to further study.
The knowledge and understanding you will gain on the course will help you develop positive values and attitudes and will encourage you to reflect on your learning and practice.
The course has a large placement element. You will have a placement in a nursery 2 days per week for the duration of the course.
What you will learn
Course topics include:
(units subject to change in line with SQA updates on course)
- Child Development (Higher)
- Developing an Understanding of Working with Children
- Developing an Understanding of Working with Children: Workplace Experience
- Child Development: Theory (Higher)
- Services for Children and Young People (Higher)
- First Aid
- HIV, Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C Infections
- Play in Early Education and Childcare
- Play in Practice
- Childcare and Development Higher project.
- Applicants should have passes in four subjects at SCQF level 5, such as National 5 or 4, Standard Grades at band 2 or above or four passes at Intermediate 2, one of which much be English.
- Successful achievement of a level 5 Childcare qualification such as The National 5 Skills for Work Early Education and Childcare or the NPA in Playwork and Childcare will also be considered.
- For NC or PDA, applicants whose first language is not English, you should have a minimum ESOL level 5 at an A or B although higher ESOL is the preferred qualification
Selection for interview will also be based on the content of a personal statement which should evidence your interest in learning about the care and education of children. Applicants will be required to enter the PVG scheme administered by Disclosure Scotland. This check will be carried out before undertaking work experience. If you have any offences that may be recorded on a Disclosure Scotland check, you should discuss this at interview.
Additional Selection Requirements – Successful applicants will be invited for an interview where they will get the opportunity to find out more about the course and to explain why they are interested in this career path. If selected for interview, you will also be asked to complete a written task as part of the interview process. You must provide two references (one from your most recent educational provider or employer).
If invited for interview you must bring evidence of your qualifications.
Employment as a nursery assistant or support worker
You may progress on to:
- HNC Childhood Practice (subject to satisfactory references and NC practical training placement reports)
- HNC Additional Support Needs
- SVQ Level 3 Social Services (Children and Young People).