This Introduction to Childcare course provides you with the opportunity to gain the knowledge and understanding of the foundations of Early Education and Childcare for children 0-12 years. It is a theory based course that has many practical elements included, involving both group participation and individual tasks.
You will have to opportunity to visit a variety of childcare establishments and listen to guest speakers from the industry which will help you to make positive decisions about your future studies or work.
You will have the opportunity to engage in the wider College environment through College themed weeks and also by undertaking Community Achievement Awards.
This course is suitable for people returning to education with no formal qualifications who wish to develop a career in childcare and is also ideal for school leavers.
What you will learn
Course topics include:
- Child development
- Play in early learning and childcare
- Maintenance of a safe environment
- Community achievement awards
- Working in early education and childcare
There are no formal entry requirements but you should have a genuine interest in working in the Childcare sector.
Applicants must be 16 years old, or over, when course starts in August.
Additional Selection Requirements
Successful applicants will be invited for an interview where they will get the opportunity to find out more about the course and to explain why they are interested in this career path. If selected for interview, you will also be asked to complete a written task as part of the interview process.
For this course, if English is not your first language
- you need to have SQA ESOL National 5 (or equivalent)
- If you do not have a formal ESOL qualification but your language skills meet this level, you should apply for your course and then contact our Admissions team to organise an internal language assessment here at the College.
Employment as a nursery assistant or in an out of school care setting or creche.
You may progress on to:
- NC Early Education and Childcare Level 5
- Other level 5 courses.